NavAO

Saturday, September 1, 2012

A look back at our Summer Reading



As the summer quickly winds down and you start to prepare for Back to {Home} School, I wanted to share with you some of the books we read. Back in June, I had inspirations of researching and composing my own summer reading list. I realized, though, that what Buttercup and I enjoy most about home school is spontaneity and flexibility. Having a pre-determined reading list kinda goes against our free spirited attitude. So, instead, I decided to just "wing it" this summer. I must say, it worked out so well for us! We took regular trips to the library just as we do during our regular {home} school year. We chose books that appealed to us, books that would be fun and entertaining. I also encouraged Buttercup to choose books that would teach us something or challenge her reading level.



Here are some of the books we read. We loved most of them. The only exception was Beezus and Ramona. It's not that we didn't like the story, the problem is that Buttercup is just starting to read chapter books and this one was a little too long. So she lost interest in it. We were reading it together, but a couple of chapters in I decided to wait a little longer to start with this book series. I know we will eventually read the Beezus books, we're just not ready now.


The other chapter books that Buttercup read and loved were the Nancy Drew Notebook series. These are Nancy Drew books written for younger readers. They are awesome and Buttercup read several this summer. She also started to read a few Magic Tree House books.

Since we've already started to home school, we are onto our next reading challenges!


Hope you had a wonderful summer, full of learning opportunities, relaxation, and great books!

Some of our favorite books are available at Amazon.












Happy Homeschooling Adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin