NavAO

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Dinner!

Every year on Halloween I make a themed dinner which is always a big hit. This year, I decided not to wait until Halloween night. I thought it would be fun to have a Halloween themed dinner once a week. I also wanted to enlist the help of my 6 year old, Buttercup.

This was our first dinner! Buttercup and I planned the whole thing. We looked up different ideas and made a list of the ingredients we would need. We kept the whole thing a secret from her sister and Dad. We wanted to surprise them with a spooky dinner.

They got in on the fun too and were happy to just sit on the couch watching TV while Buttercup and I cooked did all the cooking.

We made "Blood and snakes" for the main course. That translates to Tomato Soup and Breadsticks. Then we had Jack O'Lantern sandwiches and Pumpkin Spice cookies for dessert.

I got the inspiration for this dinner from Delish.com, this is the direct link to their recipe. As always, I didn't have the exact ingredients, so I changed it up a bit.

Here's my own version of Blood and Snakes.

Ingredients
  • 1 can of refrigerated breadstick dough (I think there were 5 or 6 in the can which was just right for my family. If you have a larger family I suggest 2 cans)
  • 1 large container of tomato soup (I used Wegman's brand) not concentrate (I hate those that you have to add water)
  • 2 or 3 red gumdrops

Directions
  1. Place foil on a cookie sheet.
  2. Unroll the breadstick dough and separate them.
  3. Roll each strip into a rope (I did this with my hands).
  4. Arrange the rope like a snake on the lined cookie sheet.
  5. Bake according to the package directions.
  6. Once the breadsticks are done and cooled, you're ready to decorate it with eyes and a tongue.
  7. Roll out the gumdrops to flatten them.
  8. Using a knife, cut out the tongue shape.
  9. Using a knife, make a small opening in the breadstick where the tongue will be, and place it there.
  10. Roll tiny gumdrop eyes and place them on the breadsticks. Gumdrops are sticky so you shouldn't have any problems attaching them.
  11. Heat the soup and serve with the breadsticks!

Here's how they turned out. I don't have pictures of the making process, but it was really easy.




 Jack O'Lantern sandwiches, also from Delish.com, direct link to recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 box refrigerated pie crusts (there are two in the box, I only used one)
  • Thinly sliced ham
  • Thinly sliced munster cheese (any other cheese will do)
  • 1 egg yolk beaten

Directions
  1. Roll out the pie crust and roll it a little bit thinner than how it is packaged.
  2. Using a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter, make the shape cut outs for your sandwiches.
  3. Make sure to cut an even number  because you will need a top and bottom.
  4. Cover a cookie sheet with foil.
  5. Cut out eyes and mouth on half of your cut outs.
  6. Place a cut out on the cookie sheet, top it with some cheese, then ham, then place a cut out (the one with eyes) on top.
  7. With your fingers, pinch the top and bottom dough to seal it.
  8. Repeat 6 and 7 for all your sandwiches.
  9. Using a pastry brush, spread some egg yolk on the dough.
  10. Place in oven and bake according to package directions.





The pumpkin spice cookies were made from a package. Next time, they'll be homemade! I put whipped cream on top of the warm cookies and sprinkled some cinnamon on it. Yum!!



This was such a fun meal! Everyone enjoyed it and it helped us get in the Halloween spirit.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin